During the summer before home games, Real Salt Lake hosts a Fan Forum where the public can come watch practice and then stay afterwards for a special Q&A with one RSL player. Today’s Fan Forum was the last of the season and fans were lucky to spend a few minutes getting to know Javier Morales.
Javi was signed from UD Vecindario in August of 2007. He has gone on to be a central figure and playmaker for RSL. Morales had one of the best seasons of his illustrious MLS career in 2013, setting a new career high with eight regular season goals and notching the second-highest assist total of his career with 10 helpers.
Morales was critical in the Claret-and-Cobalt’s 2013 postseason run, playing and starting in all five playoff matches and scoring one goal and registering three assists. The Argentine playmaker notched an assist in RSL’s 2-0 win over LA Galaxy in the second leg of the Western Conference Semifinals and provided one goal and two assists in the Claret-and-Cobalt’s 4-2 win over Portland Timbers in the first leg of the Western Conference Championship series.
Here are his answers to your questions from the Friday Fan Forum:
- Yeah we are ready. We trained today. Tomorrow we need 3 points.
- Before the game I try to rest a lot at home and eat well. I eat a lot of vegetables.
- Santi (his son) always wins. I let him win. I try to play with him at home a lot. He is going to a club so I’m happy for him.
- I like playing against big teams like Galaxy or New York. They have big players and it’s always good to play against them. I think they are the best.
- I like pasta. No, I love pasta. I think fettuccini alfredo is my favorite.
- I like both jerseys. But I think I like the white one just a little bit more than the red one.
- I’m from Argentina so of course I like Messi.
- I hope to score 10 or more goals this year. You know, I’m pretty close. I have 7 so I need 3 or 4 more. I think I could do that.
- I think [FC Dallas] is playing good, you know. The last time we were there we didn’t play well. So, tomorrow is a big opportunity for us to play against them and do well, play good soccer. I think if we can keep the ball in the midfield, then that will be the key of the game.
- When I was 5; that was my first year playing soccer.
- I like to watch my kids play. I like to play with them. I like to play tennis. I go to the cinema and go and watch movies.
- The cheering [from the crowd] helps a lot. It is very important for us. Especially when we are tired and we need something extra. You see the crowd standing up and that is huge for us.
- I have a lot of favorite movies. I think my favorite movie Braveheart.
- I want to play a couple more years before I decide if I go back to Argentina or not.
- Sometimes I drink mate. Especially when friends or family come from Argentina to visit us. You know like right now my parents-in-law are at home and they drink a lot of mate so we drink with them.
- My favorite color is blue!
- I’m 34. I know I look 27 but I’m 34.
- So, because I’m 34 I need to take a nap. I need to take nap before every game to be 100%.
- It is a long season. We go up and down a couple times. But I think we are in the right spot now. The playoffs are the most important thing of the season. I think if we can get there with everyone in good shape and staying healthy that it will be huge for us.
Subscribe to ESPN700's News!
Get the latest sports news, contests and flyaways, and more straight to your inbox with our weekly emails.