As we head from Week 9 to Week 10 around College Football the Pac 12 Conference has further descended into chaos. If you like parody, uncertainty and competitive football then the Pac 12 this season is right up your alley. There are only 2 really good teams right now in the Pac 12, one in the North and one in the South. This is a weekly poll so I expect some fluctuation every week but this week’s poll is different in every spot but one.
1. Washington State-The Pirate of the Palouse has his Cougs rolling and out kicking their preseason coverage and hype. Winning at Stanford on Saturday night was impressive and the Cougs right now are 7-1 and 4-1 in Pac 12, with four consecutive wins. They host Cal in Pullman this weekend in what might be an interesting match up, but right now Wazzu appears as the Pac 12’s best team.
2. Utah-The Utes completed a perfect month of October with a 4th straight win and 4th straight 40 point performance last Friday night in crushing UCLA 41-10. Utah’s Defense is ELITE and the best in the Pac12 and among the best in the Nation. Utah holds a one game advantage over the rest of the Pac12 South right now and looks poised to take it’s first division title. Winning the next three locks it up and 2 of 3 will likely get it done.
3. California-Justin Wilcox and the Bears got a huge win Saturday at home against #15 Washington to move to 5-3 overall and a second straight win. Their offense is pretty pedestrian but their defense is lights out. Big test in Pullman this coming weekend.
4. Washington-I’m not sure they actually belong here, but there aren’t many better options right now. Washington lost it’s second game in three weeks in Berkeley last weekend, but still stand 6-3 overall and 4-2 in Pac 12 Play. The Offense looks a bit dysfunctional right now in Seattle, which should be the case with a healthy 4 year starter.
5. Arizona State-The Devils did something last weekend that no USC opponent has done in nearly three years, that was win a game in the Coliseum. Sparky ended USC’s 19 game home win streak. Herm Edwards crew got 185 yards and 2 touchdowns from Eno Benjamin. ASU is 4-4 overall but just 2-3 in Pac 12 action. I told you this poll was tough…
6. Arizona-It took nine games but Arizona finally looked like the Arizona some expected before the season. The Wildcats took Oregon to the woodshed in a 44-19 whipping in Tucson. Zona is just 4-5, again I know, but 3-3 in Pac 12 play.
Oregon, Stanford, USC and Colorado have all fallen on hard times and out of the poll.
Subscribe to ESPN700's News!
Get the latest sports news, contests and flyaways, and more straight to your inbox with our weekly emails.