National Sports

Mayweather/Pacquiao Fight Creates Problems and Potential Rematch

The Daily Sports Herald
The Daily Sports Herald

Featured Image By: The Daily Sports Herald

Now that the storm from the “Fight of the Century” has calmed down another storm is brewing after a much anticipated fight that boxing fans have been hoping for over 5 years.  Most people don’t know how difficult it was for Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao to agree to the super fight. Let’s take a step back and go over the stipulations for this bout.

  1. Floyd Mayweather wanted 60% of the revenue, leaving Pacquiao only 40%.
  2. The fight HAD to take place on May 2nd.
  3. The event HAD to be held at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
  4. HBO (who has Manny Pacquiao under contract) and Showtime (who has Floyd Mayweather under contract) had to agree to have both networks carry the fight.

Manny Pacquiao agreed to all the requests of Floyd “Money” Mayweather.  So you know Manny wanted to fight to happen if he is willing to give up 10% of revenue to Mayweather.

After Floyd Mayweather defeated Manny Pacquiao via Unanimous Decision and improved his professional boxing record to 48-0, they held the post-fight press conference where Pacquiao made it clear that he had a shoulder injury that he sustained in training camp in preparations for the fight which no one knew until he spilled the beans to the media. I have also heard that Manny requested medication or a cortisone shot to help his shoulder feel better, but was denied the request by the Nevada Boxing Commission. Wouldn’t that raise a flag to the commission before the fight? I guess not. Manny is now facing a $5 million lawsuit against him from fans who bought tickets to the fight, purchased the Pay-Per-View, and for those folks who gambled on the fight, because he didn’t report his injury to the commission before the scheduled bout.

Tuesday morning it was announced that Manny Pacquiao will have surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff, a surgery that has a 9-12 month recovery.  Once that was announced, Floyd Mayweather sent a text to ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith saying “I will fight him in a year after his surgery.”  Is someone getting greedy?  That is a possibility given that he made at least $180 million from just fight Manny Pacquiao who made $120 Million.  Here is a couple of interesting notes from the fight:

  • Mayweather will make more from his one fight against Pacquiao than the top 10 2015 NFL Draft picks will make combined over the next 4 years.
  • Mayweather will make more from his one fight against Pacquiao than Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods made during their entire PGA Tour Career earnings.
  • After the first round of the fight, Mayweather already had $14,984,043 compared to Pacquiao’s $9,989,362. Check out the full breakdown of round by round earnings of the fight on ESPN’s Darren Rovell’s Twitter Page HERE.

If the pair do indeed agree to a rematch Rovell had a great date for the fight: April 27th, 2016. That would be the 60th anniversary of when Rocky Marciano retired from boxing with a 49-0 record (43 KO’s).  It would also be the 50th fight for Floyd Mayweather since he has already agreed to another fight in September.  If he wins in September and beats Pacquiao the following year he will finish his career with a 50-0 record.  April 27, 2016 will also be around the time that the new MGM Grand Garden Arena will open.

Would you order the rematch?


Subscribe to ESPN700's News!

Get the latest sports news, contests and flyaways, and more straight to your inbox with our weekly emails.

Subscribe

* indicates required
Comments

700's 7 Most Viewed

To Top