Real Salt Lake is returning to Rio Tinto Stadium this Saturday to take on D.C. United. Here’s what you need to know:
1. It’s a good time for Real Salt Lake to come back to Utah, after losing two in a row on the road in Vancouver and Orlando. RSL started strong in Orlando, going up 1-0 in the 12th minute thanks to a goal from Corey Baird, but gave up 3 unanswered goals and lost 3-1. RSL is now 0-1-4 on the road.
2. Real Salt Lake is 3-0-1 at home this season, winning their last 3 at home after falling to Los Angeles Football Club on March 10th. Their last home win came against Colorado on April 21st; Albert Rusnak, Joao Plata, and Damir Kreilach all got on the scoresheet. Pablo Ruiz and Corey Baird continue to impress Mike Petke and Craig Waibel, but they have yet to find the right balance:
Craig Waibel joined Gunther & Ben, listen to the full interview here.
3. Real Salt Lake’s injury list is getting shorter as Marcelo Silva, Taylor Paea, and Luke Mulholland recently saw time with the Real Monarchs. Tony Beltran (knee 10/17), Jordan Allen (knee 6/17), Shawn Barry (knee 3/10/18), Demar Phillips (ankle 4/7/18), David Horst (knee 4/11/18), and Alex Horwath (achilles 4/18/18) are all still ruled out.
4. RSL is 8-5-7 against D.C. United all-time and 7-2-2, including the 2013 1-0 loss in the Lamar Hunt Open Cup Final, at Rio Tinto Stadium. D.C. United took 1 point from their last trip to Rio Tinto Stadium in 2016 after a late goal from Jared Jeffrey knotted the match at 1-1. Last season’s matchup at RFK Stadium saw RSL take all 3 points thanks to a Luis Silva goal in a bizarre match that was delayed for a day after rainfall flooded the stadium. RSL Head Coach Mike Petke joined The Bill Riley Show this week to discuss D.C.:
Listen to the full interview with Mike Petke here.
5. D.C. United is 0-4-1 on the road this season and sitting in last place in the eastern conference with 5 points. They have scored 5 goals and conceded 11 in their away matches, including 3 goals in 3 matches each against Columbus, Atlanta, and Philadelphia. D.C. is led by Darren Mattocks with 3 goals, Luciano Acosta with 1 goal and 3 assists, and Yamil Asad with 2 goals and 2 assists. Dave Johnson, D.C. United play-by-play voice, and Jay Nolly, former D.C. United & Real Salt Lake goalkeeper, joined The Bill Riley Show on Friday:
Our coverage of Real Salt Lake vs D.C. United begins Saturday at 6 PM with Lauren Mason Beck & Spencer Warne, kick-off with Bill Riley & Jay Nolly is at 7 PM.
Subscribe to ESPN700's News!
Get the latest sports news, contests and flyaways, and more straight to your inbox with our weekly emails.