It’s been 364 days since Real Salt Lake last played the Vancouver Whitecaps at Rio Tinto Stadium, a match which saw Albert Rusnak score his first MLS goal (and get two assists) and Mike Petke make his debut as RSL’s head coach. Real Salt Lake went on to win 3-0 in a match that was later dubbed “snowmaggedon.” Tonight Vancouver visits again, here’s what you need to know:
- Real Salt Lake is 6-8-4 all-time and 5-1-3 in Utah against the Whitecaps. RSL is 1-1-0 at home so far this season while Vancouver is 2-1-0 on the road in 2018.
- While the match was one to forget for most of the team, youngster Corey Baird subbed in for Joao Plata in the 70th minute, providing a burst of energy to the offense and scored his first MLS goal in the 82nd. RSL head coach Mike Petke was not too happy after their 3-1 loss in Toronto last Friday and expanded on that when he joined The Bill Riley Show earlier this week ,saying that he knows what needs to be fixed, but it will take time.
— Major League Soccer (@MLS) March 31, 2018
- After starting slowly last season, this match was Real Salt Lake’s first win. With a similar start to this season (1-1-2), Real Salt Lake is looking for a spark at home to bounce back after their loss at Toronto.
- There aren’t many updates to the injury list. DF Shawn Barry (hamstring 3/10) remains questionable after a showing promise in his first couple matches for RSL. DF Tony Beltran (knee 10/15), MF Jordan Allen (knee 6/16), and DF Taylor Peay (knee 1/22) are still ruled out. MF Luke Mulholland (hamstring 3/17) is questionable. DF Adam Henley (hamstring 2/22) and DF Aaron Herrera (groin 2/28) have been ruled probable. (Via RSL.com)
- Vancouver has only won once on Utah soil, in 2015, but boasted one of the best away records in the league last year. Vancouver is currently sitting in 2nd place in the western conference at 3-1-1 with wins against Houston, Columbus, and Montreal. But the Whitecaps have given up at least one goal in 4 of their 5 games, and Real Salt Lake has scored in all 4 of their games so far. Kei Kamara is looking as dangerous as ever, one of 10 players to reach 100 MLS goals, with 3 goals in 4 games this season.
ESPN700’s coverage begins at 6:30PM with Tom Hackett and Spence Warne, kick-off with Bill Riley and Jay Nolly is at 7:30PM.
Subscribe to ESPN700's News!
Get the latest sports news, contests and flyaways, and more straight to your inbox with our weekly emails.