It will become official next Thursday in Hollywood, the annual Preseason Pac 12 Media Football Poll. I’ve been fortunate enough to get one of these ballots for the last few years from the Conference. I’ll give you my picks for both the South and the North Divisions, then a few thoughts below. I think it’s the most difficult year to predict both Division races in the 6 years I’ve been covering the League. My thought here in July is that the Pac 12 will cannibalize itself with the 9 game conference slate and likely be left out of the College Football Final Four again.
Pac 12 North
- Stanford-David Shaw is my pick till someone beats him. Plus the Heisman Front Runner
- Washington-Trendy National Pick. Love Jake Browning, who are his playmakers? Very good Defense
- Oregon-Dakota Prukop, another 1-AA QB to lead the Ducks. Will Brady Hoke help the Defense?
- Washington St.-Luke Falk will be the Pac 12’s best QB, but will they play any Defense in Pullman?
- Cal-Davis Webb will help ease the loss of Jared Goff, but who’s he throwing to? Top 6 WR’s gone…
- Oregon St.-The rebuild continues for Gary Anderson in Corvallis. Needs more talent and 2 more years
Pac 12 South
- Utah-Most dominant defense and special teams combo in the South. Upgrade at QB is the difference this year.
- UCLA-Most stable QB position in the South, but holes to fill around him with just 4 starters back, plus a new punter and kicker.
- USC-Always loads of talent, but came out of Spring without a QB Starter, a new staff this fall & a killer early schedule.
- Arizona-Can Anu Solomon bounce back this year and an entirely new defensive staff.
- Arizona St.-Unsettled at QB and Offensive Line, could be a bad combination.
- Colorado-Losing Davis Webb hurt..Can Sefo Liufau stay healthy? Can they win close games?
Subscribe to ESPN700's News!
Get the latest sports news, contests and flyaways, and more straight to your inbox with our weekly emails.